How To Safely Remove Large Trees from Small Spaces
You may have a tree that is dangerously sick or damaged. However, removing it in that tight spot isn’t an easy job. It’s best to get help from professionals by searching for “tree service near me”. Let’s check out how to safely remove large trees from small spaces.
- Signs that it’s time to remove trees growing in narrow spaces – there are few clear signs that tell you when it’s time to clear out trees growing in small spaces. If the tree has grown too large near your home and it’s hitting nearby structures like gutters, siding, wires, satellite dishes, and roofs, it’s time to remove the tree. You should also remove the tree if it is weakened. If the tree is rotting internally and has numerous dead branches that break off often, you should remove it for safety reasons.
Apart from top growth, you should also pay attention to underground growth. If the tree is growing shallow roots that have spread far enough to damage your lawn or pavement, it needs to be removed. You can also remove the tree if it’s leaning or being invasive on your property. Moreover, narrow spaces aren’t limited to width, but height as well. If the tree is growing tall enough to damage the powerlines, you need to get rid of it.
- Cutting and felling – There are several ways of removing trees in small spaces and the traditional way works if you know what you’re doing. If the tree isn’t too large, you can fall the tree easily with a chainsaw. However, it’s a bit tricky if you don’t have any prior experience with this kind of job. You need to guide the tree carefully between the surrounding structures so that your property doesn’t get damaged.
You need to shorten the fall range by chopping off the branches and shortening the length of the tree. You need to climb the tree and chop off each branch while securing them to a pulley and rope-guided system. After you get rid of all the branches, you need to start chopping off the trunk from the top in small sections and use the same guided pulley system. After the trunk is shortened to a sufficient height, you can cut the tree as long as you have a safe path.
- Bucket truck – A bucket truck is a special vehicle that is extremely useful for removing trees in narrow spaces that have limited access. The truck has a telescopic boom with a bucket attached at the end. The tree specialist or arborist sits inside the bucket and safely removes the limbs of the tree and cuts off sections from the trunk. The boom and truck eliminate the need for risky climbs and maneuvering around tight corners becomes very easy even if the tree is surrounded by close structures.
Moreover, the bucket truck isn’t just used to carry the tree specialist to great heights in a safe way. If the truck has a strong enough boom and bucket, it can also be used to lift up parts of the tree after it’s cut down. That’s especially useful if the area where the tree has fallen has limited accessibility and there’s no clear path for taking out the debris and timber.
- Crane Assist – Tree removal becomes really easy when you have crane assistance for the job. It makes the job quicker, more efficient, and most importantly safer. Safety is extremely important when you need to remove a large tree from a small space that’s surrounded by major roads and homes, and the tree has the potential to fall in a high-traffic area.
With crane assistance, the parts of the tree can be removed piece by piece from higher altitudes without allowing any large limbs or sections of the trunk from falling down. With powerful cranes, a large tree can be directly uprooted from the ground and removed vertically. After the tree is brought to a larger open space, it can be chopped down to smaller sizes or directly turned into wood chips by running it through a chipper.
- Remote-controlled grapple saw crane – While tree removal becomes safer and more convenient with a crane, it still needs the assistance of a climber. If the tree has poor health and is rotting from the inside the risk factor increases dramatically for the climber. That’s where the remote-controlled grapple saw crane comes in. As the name suggests, these cranes can be controlled remotely and have a grapple saw attachment at the end.
The grapple can grab onto the limbs and the trunk of the tree while the saw can cut through those parts. This kind of crane is the most advanced of its kind in the industry and is usually reserved for highly risky and difficult tasks. It’s perfect for dense and urban environments where removing tall trees the usual way is extremely challenging.
- Factors that affect the cost of tree removal – When you have a tree that needs to be removed from a narrow and hard-to-reach space, sticking to a budget may not be possible. If state-of-the-art equipment and highly skilled personnel are involved, you may need to pay a lot of money to get the tree removed. However, the service is always worth it if the tree puts public safety at risk. You don’t want to be liable for the damages and injuries caused by the tree when it eventually falls down. Apart from that, the location, species of the tree, size, and proximity to nearby structures also influence the cost of removal.
Hazardous trees should be removed immediately to save lives and property from being damaged. If the tree is very small and you have enough room for felling it in your backyard, you may do it with your chainsaw. However, it’s always recommended to get help from professionals, especially if the tree is large and located in a small space. To do that, you can search for “tree service near me”.